Dr. Emese Bordy
Department of Geological Sciences
Ph: +27 (0)21 650 2901
Fax: +27 (0)21 650 3783
- Clastic sedimentology (esp. fluvial deposits)
- Stratigraphy, sedimentology and palaeo-ecosystems of the Karoo in southern Africa
- Paleozoic and Mesozoic basin evolution in southern Africa
- Continental ichnology
- Sedimentology of Karoo coal-bearing strata (outside the main Karoo Basin)
*denotes student authors
Abrahams*, M., Bordy, E.M., Sciscio*, L., Knoll, F. 2017. Scampering, trotting, walking tridactyl bipedal dinosaurs in southern Africa: ichnological account of a Lower Jurassic palaeosurface (upper Elliot Formation, Roma Valley). Historical Biology. 1-18. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08912963.2016.1267164
Krummeck*, D.W., Bordy, E.M. 2017. Reniformichnus katikatii (new ichnogenus and ichnospecies): continental vertebrate burrows from the Lower Triassic, main Karoo Basin, South Africa. Ichnos DOI - http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10420940.2017.1292909
Bordy, E.M., Head, H.*, Runds, M.J.* 2016. Palaeoenvironment and provenance in the early Cape Basin of southwest Gondwana: sedimentology of the Lower Ordovician Piekenierskloof Formation, Cape Supergroup, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology 119.2: 399-414. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2113/gssajg.119.2.399
Bordy, E.M., Sciscio*, L., Abdala, F., McPhee*, B., Choniere, J. 2016. First Lower Jurassic vertebrate burrow from southern Africa (upper Elliot Formation, Karoo Basin, South Africa). Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 468, pp.362-372 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2016.12.024
Bordy, E.M., Abrahams*, M. 2016. Geochemistry of the Pronksberg bentonite in the upper Elliot Formation (Early Jurassic), Eastern Cape, South Africa. In: Linol B and de Wit M (eds) Origin and Evolution of the Cape Mountains and Karoo Basin: Geo-biohistory in a terrain with shale gas resources and need for conservation. Part of the series Regional Geology Reviews 8643: pp. 119-127.Springer Verlag. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-40859-0_12
Bordy, E.M., America*, T. 2016. Sedimentology of granite boulder conglomerates and associated clastics in the onshore section of the Late Mesozoic Pletmos Basin (Western Cape, South Africa). Journal of African Earth Sciences 119: 67-77. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2016.03.013
Bordy, E.M., Krummeck*, DW. 2016. Enigmatic continental burrows from the Early Triassic transition of the Katberg and Burgersdorp formations in the main Karoo Basin, South Africa. PALAIOS 31, 389–403. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2110/palo.2016.021
Sciscio*, L. Bordy, E.M., 2016. Palaeoclimatic conditions in the Late Triassic-Early Jurassic of southern Africa: a geochemical assessment of the Elliot Formation. Journal of African Earth Sciences 119: 102-119.
Sciscio*, L., Bordy, E.M., Reid*, M., Abrahams*, M. 2016. Sedimentology and ichnology of the Mafube dinosaur track site (Lower Jurassic, eastern Free State, South Africa): a report on footprint preservation and palaeoenvironment. PeerJ 4:e2285; DOI 10.7717/peerj.2285
Chukwuma*, K. Bordy, E.M., 2016. Spatiotemporal sedimentary facies variations in the Permian Whitehill Formation, main Karoo Basin. In: Linol B and de Wit M (eds) Origin and Evolution of the Cape Mountains and Karoo Basin: Geo-biohistory in a terrain with shale gas resources and need for conservation. Part of the series Regional Geology Reviews 8643: pp.101-110 Springer Verlag. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-40859-0_10
Bordy, E.M., Eriksson, P., 2015. Lithostratigraphy of the Elliot Formation (Karoo Supergroup), South Africa. South African Journal of Geology 118.3: 311-316.
Bordy, E.M., Prevec, R., 2015. Lithostratigraphy of the Emakwezini Formation (Karoo Supergroup), South Africa. South African Journal of Geology 118.3: 307-310.
Muir, R.*, Bordy, E.M., Prevec, R. 2015. Lower Cretaceous deposit reveals first evidence of a post-wildfire debris flow in the Kirkwood Formation, Algoa Basin, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Cretaceous Research 56: 161–179.
Reid. M.*, Bordy, E.M., Wendy, T. 2015. Taphonomy and sedimentology of an echinoderm obrution bed in the Lower Devonian Voorstehoek Formation (Bokkeveld Group, Cape Supergroup) of South Africa. Journal of African Earth Sciences 110: 135–149.
Smithard, T.*, Bordy, E.M., Reid, D. 2015. The effect of dolerite intrusions on the hydrocarbon potential of the Lower Permian Whitehill Formation (Karoo Supergroup) in South Africa and Namibia: a preliminary study. South African Journal of Geology 118. 4: 489-510.
- PhD, Rhodes University, South Africa, 2001
- PGD in Higher Education (with distinction), Rhodes University, South Africa, 2006
- MSc, Eötvös Loránd University, Hungary, 1998
Scholarships, Fellowships and Sponsorships Awarded
- Merit award of the Faculty of Science: 2017
- NRF - Competitive Program for Rated Researchers: 2012, 2015
- NRF-DST Centre of Excellence in Palaeosciences: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- NRF - African Origins Platform: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016
- NRF Incentive Funding for Rated Scientists: since 2009
- University of Cape Town, Faculty of Science (various grants): 2013, 2014
- University of Cape Town Research Council: 2011
- Rhodes University, Deputy VC (Research and Development) and Dean of Science discretionary grants: 2010
- NRF South African-Hungarian Science and Technology Cooperation: 2007, 2008
- Rhodes University, Joint Research Committee: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011
- NRF Postdoctoral Research Fellowship: 01-01-2002 - 29-02-2004
- De Beers Doctoral Scholarship (fully funded): 1998, 1999, 2000
- Scholarship of the Hungarian Republic: 1995, 1996
- TEMPUS Scholarship (visiting student at the University of Reading, Postgraduate Institute in Sedimentology, UK); 1996-97
- CEPUS Scholarship (visiting student at the Jagellonian University of Krakow, Poland); 1995